2019-2020 Girls Basketball Tryouts
PROGRAM PHILOSOPHY: Everyday, in every way, get a little better
TEAM CULTURE: WE before ME, Do it Together and Hunger to Compete
ALL PAPERWORK HAS TO BE CLEARED BEFORE YOU CAN TRYOUT!
- if you played a fall sport, you need to check the front office to be sure they have you cleared for basketball
What to bring:
- Basketball clothes (the regular stuff, shoes, reversible jersey if you have one)
- Running shoes/extra clothes (warm clothing for running outside). We will be running the timed mile each day during tryouts. Please be prepared with dry clothes for afterwards.
- Your best attitude
- Readiness to show us what you know about the game, what areas you have improved and true camaraderie (even if you don’t know anyone).
- We will conduct tryouts the first 2 days of the regular season (Nov 18-19). We will use a third day if needed (Nov 20)!
- We will combine both returners and new people in one tryout.
- Tryouts are a time where we expect players to show their best skill, best teamwork, and best leadership.
- Coaches are looking for players who accept feedback and are ready to implement it right away.
- Coaches have to make tough decisions on who makes the team and what team will best suit their growth and development. The coaches work to keep and place players who they will contribute, thrive and continuously develop.
- The players who make the team will be a combination of the most skilled, the most coachable, the most ready to learn and grow and/or have the most potential.
- The coach’s decisions will always be based on what is best for the team.
- The design of tryouts is to put players in drills and scrimmages in order to see the following things:
- We expect to see players demonstrate leadership: helping all players rise up and show their best self/best skill.
- We expect to see players showing their best skill and demonstrating areas of growth/development from the off season.
- We expect players to be able to hear and implement feedback from all coaches quickly and efficiently.
- We expect players to be able to focus and give 100% effort.
- We do not expect new players to know or remember plays or how to perform specific drills during tryouts, but we do want to see they are able to:
- Focus and put their best effort
- Demonstrate solid understanding of basic basketball principles
- Are able to perform basic basketball skills, such as dribbling with both hands, shooting lay-ins with the correct hand, using your spacing on the floor correctly
- Hear and implement feedback from coaches. Our feedback is for growth purposes. We want to see you excel. Being coachable is high on the priority list for incoming players
Communicating with players/parents after tryouts:
- Players/parents of freshmen and sophomores will receive an email with their team placement the evening after the last tryout with the player’s team placement. The email will share with the players and parents if their daughter has made the team, what team she made and where she needs to be for practice the next day. Players who make the team will be automatically added to the email distribution list for weekly updates etc.
- Players/parents who do not make the team will receive an email sharing this information. There will also be information in the email on how to continue to hone skills for future interest in trying out.
- Upperclasswomen (juniors and seniors) will have an individual meeting with the coaching staff following the final tryout day. The coaches will share their evaluation of the player, including if the player made the team and/or which team they will be on. The meetings will be held for 5-7 minutes.
Playoffs/State for Fall teams:
If your team successfully makes it to playoffs/state for a fall sport…..YES!!!!!! We support you 100%. You will need to communicate with us ASAP IF you are planning to tryout for basketball. Traditionally, your tryout dates will be the following 2 days after your last fall sport game. Please be sure to reach out and let us know to expect you at tryouts!
Please reach out to the coaches if you have specific needs or questions about tryouts at our new email firstname.lastname@example.org